Thursday, November 30, 2017

Turkey Trot / Off Season /2018


Race Recap 

On Thanksgiving, as has become a normal thing for me since beginning this venture in running, I ran the Turkey Trot. Normally , I would have ran the 10K, but after a long and lengthy season, I decided it would be best if I just ran 5K this year and just had fun. So, that is what I had done. 

I felt pretty good getting up the morning of after a better than expected nights sleep. It was right at the freezing mark, and I was in good spirits. Especially since this was it for the year. After I crossed the finish, it would be the off season. I made my breakfast after getting my gear on and headed out. 

I got there EARLY, and hung around in the truck. I dozed off for a little bit, and just took time to enjoy it. It was cold, so I really didn't bother stretching or warming up as it would all go to waste as cold as it was. I just wanted to enjoy this final run as a reward for basically 2 solid years of work. (If you recall, I really didn't take an off season last year as I was trying to get ready for an attempt at a half and a full back to back.)

 I felt good with all things considered in the corral. I was bouncing around , just trying to keep the blood flowing and at least get the HR up a bit.

Coming out, I knew EXACTLY what to expect as I have run this for 3 straight years. This is a decently hilly course, about like what I run on at home down through town. Coming out, I was focused on not starting too fast as it's something I am pretty good at (LOL)! I could tell early on that I was on good form and cadence. I was immediately able to bring my breathing under control and settle down. I could just tell I had made the right decision and was going to be in good shape all the way through as long as I focused on my race.  

Mile 1 and 2 came and went before I really realized it. At the turn of 2 miles, I looked at my watch. I didn't know what mile 1 was, but I knew I felt great at mile 2. I started doing math, and realistically, I am pretty sure the legs were there at a shot for a PR on this day, and I STRONGLY considered trying, but once I got ready to pick up the steam, my legs just weren't having it. So, I just steadied back out and rode it out until the finish. When we turned the corner to head into the final stretch, I let it all hang out. I was pouring all the steam on that I had that day. Honestly, it was funny, because even when I was just flying, I never lost control of my breathing. I was in command the entire day. Before I realized it , it was over. I had hit the finish line in 37 min or so and I was more than pleased. I texted coach, and then grabbed some food and just enjoyed the sites for a few moments before I decided to get out of there and get warmed up . 

So, all in all , it had been a great year. 18 races. 2 fulls, 5 halfs , 3 10k's , 5 8k's. Half Fanatics qualified. 2 attempts at 2:30 , which didn't go my way, but I will get it eventually. I really couldn't have enjoyed a better year on the roads. 



Off Season 

So , here we sit, the off season. Anyone who knows me , knows that I go. HARD. So this first week, I have taken a week or so off to just relax. I have been holding down the couch and binge watching tv shows on the dvr. Just enjoying this first week. I have also met with the nutritionist on our team who I work with to adjust my nutrition for my goals for the off season , and to discuss the plans for next year with her, so we can begin to formulate the plan for race fueling for next year. 

Goal wise for the off season, I want to put on about 5 lbs of muscle mass and loose about 5 lbs of fat. In the end, its really gonna cancel out, but I will feel and look a lot stronger. When I first started working with my coach, I had just come off of doing a heavy lifting program. I have honestly missed lifting a shit ton of weight here lately. So, that is what I plan on doing for 95% of the off season is lifting HEAVY. There are some different workouts I want to do that all involve lifting heavy. Its going to be more geared towards a Body Builders Split. So, I can't wait. I won't be doing that much cardio at all. But I will be on a Bike 1 day a week and in the pool 1 day a week. So that really is the plan for the off season. I am planning to do before & after photos just where I have a documented way to look at the changes along with measurements. 

So this brings me to 2018, next season..... 


2018

So, 2018. This is where things get headed down a different road. Frankly, I haven't been this excited since I started the training for my first marathon. In 2018, the plan the first half of the year, January - August, is going to be geared in the direction of Triathlons. Yes, you heard me right. I am going to get into Tri. I had toyed with this in August of last year, but decided to delay it to qualify for half fanatics. However, when I went with our team in September to the Augusta 70.3 Race, I got hooked big time. So, the plan is this. Were going to start training in January. In march , I have 3 races all within 24 hours that are running. 2 5k's and a half Marathon. The first, if things work out, I will get to meet my running Idol, Meb, and warm up and run with him. Then, later that night, is the kickoff to the Knoxville Marathon Weekend, the 5k. It finishes at the 50 of Neyland Stadium. The next morning, I will get back up , and line back up to run the Half again this year. I have a goal for the half. I want to get through the last 5K without burning out at the end. I want to be as strong as I was in the beginning of the race at the end. I just want to have fun with it. My first couple of Triathlons will be the sprint distance, so short and sweet, to get used to the flow of the races and get comfortable.  There will be one in April and one in June. Then I will have a couple months before what I am calling a Early fall feature in August. The plan is for a get-a-way race in Pikeville Tennessee, for a Olympic distance Triathlon. After that, I am looking at some road races for the fall. Still haven't picked those out yet, as the one that would normally be a lock, is not even on the radar this year. So I am looking to replace it. If things go well in the Olympic Tri, I know there is one here in October that I potentially could get into as well. So , really after August, things are what we call "Fluid". The only thing I can say for sure is there will be NO MARATHONS this year . Period. Not. Happening. Changing directions. I have some pretty big goals for Triathlons, so it is time to go "all in" on that and see what we can't make happen. Of course, I am going to be working with my coach in all of this , so I have no doubt that I will show up ready to go .


So really, that is going to about wrap it up for this year. I will be back right before the end of the off season to most likely do a wrap up post about that as well. 

So , Until then.....

From one "Idiot" to another: 











John 
-IRC 2148- 

No comments:

Post a Comment