Monday, August 29, 2016

10 Weeks: WHOA- That just got REAL

 Weeks: Whoa!

Whoa! Yep! 10 Weeks! That just got REAL ! This is what I have been waiting on for 16 long weeks. This week. The week where things got tougher. So lets re-cap: 

This weeks only day in the gym was Tuesday I believe. Stability Strength. I kid you not, this one whipped me. Although I got it done. It was 3 sets of 3 rotations. The first set was the toughest and got me. Squats on a Bosu ball. The key was to get those stabilizer muscles firing and stronger. If you know me, I am a form NAZI! So, it was @$$ to grass the ENTIRE 3 sets of 25 (yes 3 sets of 25) for squats. Lets just say, by mid set 2, I was dying. Sweat dripping, screaming like a heavy lifter. And all this with no weights.Then, if that wasn't enough, i had shoulder raises and bicep curls while on this bosu. Tricky would be an understatement. After the first rotation, I had 2 other rotations. Not as bad, but it was still pretty difficult. I would be lying when I said that after this workout I wasn't sore! BULL! I felt that in every part of my legs really till Friday AM. Thats how effective that was. Then,  I was let know, oh there is a legs workout that involves a BOSU! I am like, OMG! LOL! 


Run wise, this week got interesting.  4 miles on Tuesday. That seemed to be good. All in a slow conversational pace. So, I was pretty happy with that. Wednesday was a challenge. My first real taste of speed work. 1 mile at a z2, then 2 miles at a 11:24 pace, then back to a z2 to cool it down. Things went well. I was able to hit my time splits spot on, thanks to my watch having a virtual pacer, which i used. I was able to manage my speed and know when to back it down to keep on a good tempo. This is the sign of good control on the road. Its very hard to stay steady. Thankfully , all those miles previously and some treadmill running has taught me this, so I was very tickled. Friday, I took the day off to spend with friends at the Local Rivalry High School Football Game. Saturday I had my 15 miler. 

15 Miles. That was a lot of fun. And a comedy of errors. Everything from Headphones dying, to bathrooms being locked, to loosing towels, to spilling my nutrition aid, it all happend. Even the HR monitor went kaput. I could have chosen to get pissed, but I laughed about it as all in a days work and got the miles down. Up to this point, that is as big a chunk as I have ever chewed in 1 go. However, I am well aware that I am just a few weeks away from a 20 miler. We will see how that goes. 

Yesterday was all about teaching me how to run on tired legs with a tired body and Mind. I went to work a 5K to benefit the Alzheimers foundation. It was so hot. Were talking 90+ at racetime! I was at at the final water stop ! The adreneline was def pumping as I was working to keep the runners hydrated, and keep an eye on folks. I didn't realize that I got sucked into the adreniline till I went home to get my run in. I was DEAD! My legs were heavy. I honestly just wanted the couch, but knew I had 4 miles. Then, at mile 1, the skies opened. By mile 2, my feet and socks were drenched. So, its like I ran with 10lbs of weight on my shoes. By the end of 4 miles, all I had left was to walk. I got a note from coach and said totally normal. Totally. So, I am happy with that. 


Overall, this was the first week that seemed like HEY, were MARATHON training here ! LOL! The tiredness is real. Even though I am making sure to rest, I need MORE SLEEP. Also, the volume is here. Not that I cant handle it, Its just an adjustment. But what doesn't kill you makes you STRONGER! 



This week is back to the grind. Week #2 of the first REAL build cycle. This week features my old buddie in the gym, IT Band Strength. If I have seen it once, Ive seen it 10Xs, but it's so important, so totally get why it keeps re-appearing. Additionally, this week I am really licking my chops for Saturday. Sure, i have a mid week run or 2, but Saturday, all bets are off. A virtual 13.1. When I talked to coach to make sure I didn't go rouge, she informed me No chains, go get em. Just like a race. That means, race kit goes on, the whole 9 yards. I am after my best time. Period. Thats what my personal goal is. Period. I can't wait. So excited. But first to survive the week. hahah! 

So that is  it for this week. 

Until Next Week-

From One "Idiot" to another 


John 
IRC #2148

No comments:

Post a Comment