Tuesday, July 5, 2016

18 Weeks Out: Raceweek

Weeks Out: Race Week 


So, this week was Race week. 5K time. Revenge Time. 18 weeks away from DC. Before I get into that, I do want to do something out of the normal for a moment and take time to mention a couple things. 

First and foremost, this week, if you have grown up around the basketball world at all, then you have heard about the passing of longtime Tennessee Womens Coach Pat Summit. Pat was a LEGEND! No doubt about it. With these type of legends, you don't realize how much they affect you until there gone. It wasn't till I sat and reflected in preparation to write this blog that I was able to really see that in my life. The one single area that she affected me the most is my Tenacity! The woman knew what she wanted and was bound and determined to get the best out of her players. Period. That cold stare. Good grief. It would burn a hole right through any individual who ever recieved or saw it. I have seen it in person in the arena during games and in pictures. Unnerving is the best way I can put it. Period. But one things for sure, she left a lasting impact on me with her tenacity and I would be remiss if I didn't mention it and the effects on MILLIONS of people. 

So, now lets get down to business with a Race Report. 


Leading up (Race Week) 
So, as I mentioned , this week I got to go racing for the Final Planned time before MCM. This was a 5k. If you remember back to May, the last time I went for a 5K, disaster struck. So, this week , I was out for revenge. I was optimistic all week , but reserved about that optimism. My taper runs went quite well this week. I had a sense that I might have something special brewing, but did not want to get to confident. Sunday, I had a quick 15 min shakedown on the race course just to see it, and then I was under orders to get OFF MY LEGS and rest. Be ready. I have to admit, around Saturday, I was nervous. But, thankfully, after a nice talk with coach , I was settled down and ready to go. I laid out all my stuff the night before in the floor of my gym for a traditional FLAT ME picture and to make sure everything was lined up to go. 



 Race Re-Cap

I got there a little bit after 6:30 race morning in my new team gear. I was calm and ready to go. Picked up my tag for the race and hung around. I actually caught up with a few friends b4 the race and chatted. About 10 min before time, I got loose with some dynamic stretching and was ready. During the National Anthem, I was psyched. I felt those butterflies. We had chatted about keeping them in formation the night before, but for some reason, I couldn't get them there. They just wouldn't go. In addition, I was bouncing up and down to elevate my heartrate where I didn't come out and then go right into the redzone from resting. I wanted it to be ready for the beating I was about to bestow. 

The gun went bang (LOL) and we were off. We had chatted about not coming out too hard and easing into it but applying the gas more as I went. I wanted negative splits. I felt great. I was focused so much on my breathing. Solid Breaths . Relax. Run. Things were going perfectly. Great high tempo things were going perfect. Mile 1 came and went in 9:45 . I was shocked. I never felt like I was pushing that hard. I was comfortable. It was shortly after this chime in my ear , I began to get a little winded. Sip of water, through a fire hydrant that was opened, and back off I went. I eased back a little bit to catch my breath for a couple moments. Then I put a good burst of steam in. The 2nd mile was a little slower. After the 2nd mile , I began to gage things and realized, oh crap. I am on a good clip here. A PR IS POSSIBLE! Lets do it! So, i reached for another swig of water during a moment when I kinda slowed down. Dumped some on my head since by this time I was warm. Then, I really dug in. Mile 2.75 I looked again and thought I had blown my chance, but was determined to get those 2 little letters. So, another drink, and back at it even harder. I came around the corner and saw the finish line. I could see the clock , so glanced, knew if I went ALL OUT I could get it. So, I let it rip. I mean I went so hard. The last few moments were a blur. I looked directly at the clock and knew when I got to the line I had done it!

When I went to slow down and grab a bottle of water, I thought I was going to hurl everywhere. Never have I dry heaved at the end of a race. But, we had talked about this fact there again, and I knew this is what I wanted. I walked off from the finish line to message coach. I had done it. 




It was official. I had lowered my PR from 33 and some change to 32 and some change. This is almost a FULL MIN FASTER and then its also one of my goals I set for this year , to get my 5K under 32. So, needless to say I was a happy camper. Man, it just feels good ! Here are some pictures that were taken from my race. Needless to say, I don't care how I look in these, I am in the moment. Period. 

After the race, normally I grab something to eat. But considering the effort, I couldnt stand the thought of food. Sometimes I am like that. But, I did chew up an orange. I got home and promptly got in my post race Ice bath and then fell asleep . Then I spent the rest of my day having fun. 

For being the last time out (Planned, as of right now), I couldn't be more delighted. Things went absolutely SPECTACULAR! I still have the grin on my face now from that run . Just unbelievable! Gives me something to use as I continue to build towards DC. 

This week is my recovery/ rest week. Shorter, slower duration runs, and yoga. Needless to say, my body is sore today and I am ready for that recovery week. Honestly, I am also ready to increase training volume and get into some longer runs. Thats just where my body is. It realizes whats going on and is responding quite well. 

So, thats about it for this week. Time to focus on recovering and getting ready for the rest of training. 

With that being said.... 

Until Next week.... 

From one "Idiot" to another


-IRC #2148-
 

No comments:

Post a Comment