Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Turkey Trot 10K - Thanksgiving Day



The annual Thanksgiving race: The Turkey Trot . You know, as It stood coming off of secret city, I was scheduled to run the 5K. However, after such a strong performance at that race the previous Saturday, I knew I had a decision to make. 

As soon as I got done, I was already convinced of the Idea. But , all it took to make it happen was a push from a friend. A little back story: 2 years ago, at the turn, I made a bad fueling decision. The result was a blown chance at a PR . I was livid. I have never been more mad. I had let it go for 2 years , but now was time. I was in great shape, running great, why not get it back and take out my revenge. As soon as I got home, I sent the email to switch to the 10K. Within the hour I heard back that I was in and ready to go . 

The morning of , I woke up and did my normal. It was pretty Chilly, but I only wore a wind jacket and my normal running gear. I needed to be cool where I could warm up. My goal was to manage everything until 5 and then let my body fly the last mile. I felt confident if I had it in sight, I could drop a hard mile and lunge for the line. 

As things would go, the lunge wouldn't be needed. As we started, I was rocking and rolling, but reserved. I kept an eye on my watch as I was pacing myself. I was around a 13 min mile the first mile. This was perfect. I just kept on my pace, and maybe picked it up a little bit. Mile 2 was even quicker. Then the 3rd mile was even better. Sweet. 

As I made the turn , and then looked, I was only like 33 min in. At that moment, I knew baring a real disaster, I had this. I began to get really confident and push. Sooner than I wanted too, but I was feeling fantastic. Also at the turn, I tossed my jacket in the plants and noted where it was . I then went on as I was warm by this point even in 40 degrees. 

By this point, I was starting to hurt, but I just kept pushing. Remember , this is what you wanted. Get it. Mile 5 came and went , and now the question was , how low was I gonna go. I really dug down after this and bit it hard. I let it rip. Empty the tank. As I turned , I knew I had it coming to the line. 

When I came across and stopped, I knew right then it was mine. My final time was 1:10:33. A 3 min + PR. That is one way to take back what is rightfully mine . 

So, after this race, I had one left before I headed into off season 2019. I had the Innagural Run LOCO 5K. So, stay tuned for that one. 

So, until Next time: 

From one "Idiot" to another- 










-John- 
- IRC # 2148-


No comments:

Post a Comment