Monday, December 19, 2016

13 Weeks: Recovery and Re-Focus

Weeks: Recovery & Re-Focus

So, this past week marked 13 weeks away from the most insane thing I have ever decided to attempt, 39.3 miles in 2 days. This week's theme was all about recovery and re-focused. Coach had put a halt to my race season after last weekends race, even though I wanted to go one more week. However, upon sleeping on this decision from Sunday night into Monday, and then even into Tuesday, it had become apparent very quickly that this was absolutely the right call. Even though the ultimate decision laid in my hands in the end, as I started to reflect, I was EXHAUSTED. Getting up every weekend to go race had become more of a Job then it had fun over the last 8 weeks. So , it was definatley the right decision. 

In terms of workouts this week, I had a few days where I ran. Granted , they were slow, but in order to balance it out, I needed to keep it slow. Everything was tired. I needed the time to recover. So, the mid week run fit perfectly. Then Wednesday I had Bench Strength. Again, more time in the gym getting to pick up things and set them back down. Had a great lift that night and it was perfect. I then was given a couple of days off for my birthday and to rest and recover. 

Saturday was my long run. I had planned to go out and join up with a group run. However, I woke up at 5 am Saturday and had no desire to be around people. Then, it started raining. I was like PERFECT! I wanted to be home. So, I ate, and then set up the treadmill and proceeded to knock out my long run this week while watching TV. The run went well except for the last 10 min before my cool down period because I was tired and fatigue set in. But, I stayed strong and finished up. Literally, this was my week. Very short and sweet. Just what the doctor ordered after a flurry of races the last few months. 


So, next week is 12 weeks before the big A feature for me in 2017. I will be honest , I will be glad to get it over with at the start of the year. My goal next year is to get back to having fun after I put a LOT of pressure on myself this year. So, having this race early will allow me that advantage. I have several runs this week, a day in the gym, and then My long run on Christmas Eve. 

Also, I wanted to take time to wish all of my readers a Merry Christmas. 

-John- 
-IRC # 2148-




No comments:

Post a Comment