Monday, May 9, 2016

RULE # 6

 Rule #6: 

First off, this is NOT the post that I had EVER DREAMED I would be writing , but it was the hand I was dealt, and played, so it's the hand that gets written about. It's not pretty. So Lets Recap this week : 

26 Weeks Out

26 weeks out was this week. This was a week I had been eyeing for several months. The Be a Factor 5K at home on roads I knew so well. The week in prep went GREAT. Everything was on point. I had a plan, and that was full freaking all out. It would be one of the last times I was turned 100% loose before the Marine Corps Marathon in October. I was licensed to go win ! My legs felt amazing. So much so , I only briefly got on them Thursday during shakedown. I didn't want to use any power and leave it all for Saturday. I was so confident in my abilities. I had planned to go chase a double pr. Both my mile time and my Overall 5k finish should fall. Everything was fine tuned. I went to bed Friday Night giddy. I knew what I was gonna do. 

Race Day 
I woke up at 7 Saturday. Super Excited. I am so superstious to the point I follow the same pattern each race day. Everything was gold. I got to the race, registered, and begin to focus. Chatted with a few friends, made my 2 warm up laps, i was ready . 


The Race 

I came out hot, but reserved. I had a big hill to climb before I could fully turn loose. Once up that hill, I hit the gas! My back was a little tight, so i slowed to a comfy pace to loosen it. About my house , I was full on in go mode. 100% ! Go Get em. Everything was there. Running the fastest I had ever run, feeling great. Loving life. 

DISASTER 
Everything was going smooth UNTIL about .75 of MILE 1! My ankle gave out! It rolled, and I took a tumble. I broke my fall with my hands, but the pain that instantly hit I knew it was all over. And I was so mad. I started crying. I was furious. It all was going so well and then it was gone. Just like that. My first reaction was to get weight on it. Once I did, I was asked, do you want to quit. NO! JUST HECK NO! I was gonna finish. I limped the rest of the way to the finish line. I was utterly devistated. Shocked. I just had no words. I texted coach in the middle of my tears at the finish. She assured me it was ok. She was proud of me for finishing.

Support 
After I finally got home from the race , I was shocked but still on a adrenilne rush. My ankle was as big as a softball . Here is a picture of it. Yes, this is the same one that has been rolled twice now. 
After I got into the Ice bath to soak this foot, and chatted with my coach, she sent me the MOST AMAZING video I have ever watched . I share it with you here . It's so good, especially for my situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgmVOuLgFB0


In addition, we came up with a game plan going forward. The support from my krendurance teammates poured in and left me so proud to be a part of the team .Even when I felt like I had been beat, they let me know they were so proud of me. It made me smile. 

Last Night 
I had remained so positive about things all weekend. How it couldn't have happened at a better time, blah blah blah. But last night, as I was getting ready for bed, I lost it. I felt awful. It hurt so bad to have something I had worked for ripped from me. I am just glad it wasn't the MCM when this happened. 


Going Forward: 

So , here we are. Recovery week. Something I don't feel I earned since I barely got to cut loose before I got grounded this Saturday. But then I realize I MUST GET THIS ANKLE BETTER ! This week looks like it is going to be spent doing either yoga, or on a spin bike getting my cardio in. I am so hopeful I can go at least out Saturday Even If I have to walk. I just want out there. I want to hit that loop again and get my revenge. The road got me this time. I will be back. Mark. My. Words. 

Explaining the title: 
So, before I wrap up, let me explain the title. In our club, we have rules . Rule # 6 is simply this: "Run,DrinkWater,Smile,DON'T DIE"! We often refer to rule #6 when we have bad runs like this or injuries. We often say that we almost died, but didn't so we invoke rule #6. When I was deciding how to title this post, it only made sense. 


So really, that was the weekend in a nutshell. Tough! But so glad it happened now then in 3 months when I am tapering for MCM! 

Until Next week -

From One Idiot to another - 
John 
IRC #2148

No comments:

Post a Comment