Monday, April 10, 2017

10 Things I learned While Training for a Marathon


So, for today's post, I am going to do a little something different. Part of my goal in fitness and running is to pass along as much information as I can to those who are doing similar things. Today's post will be the top 10 things I have learned in the last year while on Marathon Prep. Granted, this is not an end all, be all list , but these are the top 10 things that I have learned. 


You had better get REST!
Sleep goes right along with RECOVERY! If your not getting enough sleep (MIN 8 hours a night) , then your not healing. If your not healing, then your chances for injury go up significantly. Granted, sometimes its not possible to get 8 hours in a night, but that is absolutely what you need to be shooting for in order to maintain good health and keep risks for injuries minimized. 


Be prepared to SACRIFICE- Especially from the 10 week mark on. 
Things that are important now, they will still be there, but , if your dead serious about this , then be prepared for things to bite the bullet for a while. Case in point, last fall, while putting on the final touches of my prep for the Marine Corp Marathon, it became college football season. Anyone who knows anything about me, knows that I live and breathe college football. However, due to marathon prep, I knew some sacrifices were going to have to be made. I made it to a grand total of 1 game last year, when I normally go 4 or 5 times. But, it all was in perspective. I knew what I wanted, I knew my goals, and I realized from the outset that I was going to either have to go "ALL IN" or get out of the kitchen. It comes with the nature of the beast. Marathons aren't easy. You have to be willing to sacrifice. 

GET YOUR NUTRITION ON POINT.... It will save you in the long run. 
This is something I speak from personal experience on. I did MCM with some help. However, some of the changes just didn't work for me. So, I kinda took some advice from coach and "winged it" . Bad mistake. It got me through, but I felt like there was more there. So, this time around, I invested in a Nutritionist to help me. We worked hand in hand together and kept a dialogue going. I can't explain what a big deal this was. During Knoxville, I had 0 energy dips except for nausea at the end. I felt PHENOMENAL! I was running and still am at the best I have ever been. I feel great. Getting compliments on my physique as well. A great nutritionist is INVALUABLE in this processes. Period. End of story. If you don't get this right, everything else will be effected. 

RESPECT THE TREADMILL! 
Its a weapon of great use. I used to hate it. I had some slang names for it, that coach has threatened me that if I ever use in her presence, I will pay the price. It wasn't until this winter I learned full on how useful they were. I feel like a better, steadier, confident runner. So often (GUILTY AS CHARGED) people go out way to fast. Folks, this isn't a 5k, a 10k, or even a Half- Marathon. This is 26.2 long grueling intense miles. This is a MARATHON. Not a Sprint. A MARATHON!!!  Treadmills teach that even, steady, split running. Sure its hard to tollerate the same sights for 6 hours. (Trust me, I did a 20 miler on it this cycle). My tip is put that thing in front of the TV. Turn on your favorite show. Binge watch netflix, get your mind off that distance counter. Cover it with a towel. Anything to keep your mind distracted. It actually goes faster and you become a steadier , more even paced runner on this tool. Its probably one of my favorite things now. 

Enjoy the ride.... 
This is something only 1% of the entire world population has ever done. This is a HUGE deal. Along with it comes that Sacrifice i mentioned in #9. Treat this as something HUGE because it is. To quote my fabulous coach " It's about YOU!!! It's Personal ! Your not racing anyone else. You only get 1 First Time. So, just enjoy the Experience. " This sums it all up in one nice little package. 

DON'T SKIP A WORKOUT..... PERIOD..... 

Unless your dead sick, but then it is possible to re-arrange a schedule. Training is where you put in the work. Imagine it all a giant puzzle. Each workout is 1 little piece. If a workout is missing, then the piece isn't there, and come race-day, things may or may-not come together like they should. Make this a PRIORITY! You are the one that signed up for this , now make this happen. One day at a time. One workout at a time. One set at a time. One mile at time. Make this happen. 

Find Different Roads to Run... 
Training takes a hell of a long time. If you are constantly running the same roads, the same routes, your going to get bored. Also, once your body adapts and learns the ins and outs, its going to land you at a plateu on your progress. So, get away from your normal. Go find different places to run. It will keep your boredom down and allow you to see new things, find new areas you need to work on, and keep making progress. 


B) Be prepared to be sore. Sore is the new Sexy.... 
Being sore means that you are doing the work. It means progress is happening. When I was training, I got to the point, if I wasn't sore, I knew I didn't go hard enough. I had to dig deep. This is NOT EASY. Be willing to go that extra mile. It will pay you in the end. 


A) STAY OUT OF YOUR HEAD!!!
If nothing I have said earlier sticks with you, let this sink in!! GET OUT OF YOUR OWN HEAD! What you put out into the world will comeback to you in reality. Sounds EXTREMELY stupid, but, I have been a first hand witness to this many times. Speak positivity into the world. You can do this. You were meant for this. This is YOUR TIME! Positive daily affirmations. Also, don't jump ahead thinking about the next day. It is 1 day at a time. One mile at a time. One set at a time , one rep at a time. STAY OUT OF YOUR HEAD! BE POSITIVE! 

FIND YOURSELF A SUPPORT SYSTEM.... 

Seriously , do this! Frankly , I couldn't have done this without the help of my fantastic coach , my teammates at KREndruance, my family, and my tight circle of friends. I will go ahead and say this. Some friends may not stick around. You may get ridiculed. Its because they don't understand what it is your doing or going after. If after once explaining it to them, they don't get it, understand and move on. Your going to make friends during this journey. They will more than likely become some of your best friends. Seriously, a support system makes this so much easier when going gets tough. 


AND FINALLY....... 



Race Morning- ENJOY YOURSELF!

After all this work, this is where the puzzle comes completely together. Lock in, load , and accomplish your mission! This is going to be the greatest moment of your life. Or one of them, thats for sure. Also, dont forget to run, smile , drink water, don't die, and have the TIME . OF . YOUR. LIFE!! 




So, there you have it. My top 10 things that I learned while on prep for marathons. Its a journey that is for sure. But one I am sure as heck glad I did. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world. Not a second would I go back and re-do. It was all worth it in the end. 




So, I hope you all enjoyed this. I will be back training for several different things in the upcoming months, so I will make sure to keep you all informed of what is happening as best as I can. Granted, somethings I am going to hold close , but eventually you all will know :)

So, until next time ..... 


John 
IRC # 2148 


No comments:

Post a Comment