Monday, June 20, 2016

20 Weeks: Recovery

 Weeks Out: 

The last week brought 20 weeks out. For the life of me, I can't believe were already to this point. Time is absolutely FLYING! It seems like just yesterday I first sat down to talk to my coach for our Initial meeting, and now this is where we are at. Just blows my mind!!! 

There was so much learning that went on this week. Along with one heck of a funny moment to close out the week that I will touch on in a bit. 

It just so happened that this week, I was due for a recovery week. I was kinda of bummed about it at first, but after my long run on the previous Saturday, I had realized just how tired I was. This couldn't have come at a better time. I really got to have some fun this week. Recovery week = Mental Strengthening week. So, the workouts for strength were upper body , and the runs were shorter duration, but I got to turn up the intensity torch a little bit and have a little fun.

So, this week in the gym, as I mentioned, was upper body. I got to pick up heavy things and set them back down again in a repetitious manner. Going back to my health and fitness coach days, I found that when I was stressed, I could pick up iron, set it down, and in 30 min I would be happy again. So, I really got to go back this week to that a little bit. Coming out of the gym I ALWAYS try to reflect and think about how my effort was, what I could have done differently, etc. So, one particular day, I realized I hadn't pushed heavy enough. I was kinda upset with myself, because I know what I am capable of. I sent coach a message on my notes and told her. She came back with look, light is better right now. Your not trying to "Bulk up" your "Leaning out" ... WELL HELLO! DUH! Sheesh. Sometimes I sware I am sooo thick headed. LOL! 

Running I had several major lightbulb moments. #1- Quit worrying about speed. I have always envied those runners who could just go. The single digit mile splits. The comparison game. It always gets to me. I have to STOP and NOW. The biggest eye opener came this week in regards to that. I had several higher intensity, but shorter time runs. I thoroughly enjoyed the speed this week. I got to get that out of my system. Some farltleks, some progressive runs, and some intervals. Those were a LOT of FUN! Seriously! Another lightbulb I had was music related. For so long, I have listened to one specific set of music. Coming and going. This week I actually discovered a hard rock strength training channel on Pandora. You talk about AWSOME! Just the right mix of a little rap, some punk, and a ton of metal. Things from today, and things I remember from yesteryear, like some older Disturbed, Lincoln Park, etc.  That really drove me this week. At the urging of one of my friends, I tried this out on my progressive run this week. Lightning awsome. Started with my normal tunes and then when it came time to pick up the pace, I switched. Like catching that lightning in a bottle. I was running and singing as best I could at the damn top of my lungs like a fool. And I didn't care who saw me because I was being me! Period. 

Saturday, I really think I had the biggest 2 bulb moment so far. I had farted around and waited to late to go out. I had already downed my pre run drink and was in the middle of warming up , I was trying to talk myself out of going till later, but didn't want to waste the drink and have to use another one later. So I cold toweld up, and went out. (The funny part I'll get to later, but first....) I had talked with coach briefley that morning, and we re hashed that the heat increases heartrate to cool the body down which meant slowing the tempo down. Being aware of this, I wanted to have a little fun. So, I literally forgot about time. I was more concerned with keeping the HR at where it needed to be. In esscence, I put a "Leash" on myself. I could have given a crap less about mile splits, I was out to work on HR Zones. This was some of the MOST FUN I have had in a LOOONG time out. It ranks right up there from my 10k a few weeks ago. I forgot about time , and just focused on the HR side. Such an eye opener. In addition, I finally got the lightbulb to come on as to how all these workouts fit. It's like a jigsaw puzzle. Each workout has a small piece attached to it. It may not fit now, but in the end, everything goes together and makes this beautiful puzzle. Just so cool to realize that. 

Now for some comedy.... 

 
So, I really hate clowns! HATE THEM! I used to love em. But one little stupid movie, IT... Destroyed them for me. So, I had been having this discussion for some reason with coach. Don't ask me how it got started. Anyways, Saturday, as I always do , I was making the .3 loop at the house and came across this yard sale. This kid was out in the street IN A FLIPPING CLOWN MASK playing. I saw that and took off like a bat outta hell. I literally was into my all out ON A WARMUP! Not smart, I know, but I HAD to get away from that darn clown. I told coach this, and we laughed about it. Stupid clowns! LOL! 

So, really that was the re-cap of the last week. Had a good week. Managed to get some decent rest and get some things caught back up around home. This week were back into a build week. Back to what I have gotten used to . Little more time on the runs, but I know anyday now , thats just gonna all the sudden come way up. All puzzle pieces again. A nice steady build keeps the injuries away. So glad to be back on it. Also, this is 2 weeks out from my 5k!!! (can you tell the excitement is building, LOL!) 

So, that is it for this week. 

Until next week- 

From one "Idiot" to another- 

  
John 
-IRC #2148-

No comments:

Post a Comment